Instead of reaching for a sleeping pill to sleep faster, there are some foods that you can eat before you go to bed. These foods can lend you the helping hand you need to increase the chances of getting a successful slumber. Here are the top foods you can incorporate in your bedtime snack, which contain properties that enhance sleep:
1. A Glass of Warm Milk: To help you sleep better at night, drink a glass of warm milk before bedtime. It contains calcium, which is known to help muscles relax as well as amino acid tryptophan, the precursor to serotonin. Serotonin is a hormone that provides calmness and relaxation.
2. Cheese: Like milk, cheese is loaded with calcium, which can help get rid of stress and relax your muscles. It also regulates melatonin production, so your body is aware of the right sleep and wake cycle.
3. Almonds: Almonds can boost your brain activity, strengthen your bones, and even lower bad cholesterol in the body. Aside from that, it is rich in magnesium, which promotes relaxation.
4. Romaine Lettuce: Although other types of lettuce can also help you sleep better, romaine lettuce is the best out of them. It has lactucarium, which is a phytonutrient that can induce sleep, promote relaxation, and remove pain.
5. Bananas: These fruits are rich in both potassium and magnesium, which are minerals that promote sleep and help relax the muscles. Aside from that, they also contain tryptophan, just like milk. Eat a banana one hour or two before you go to sleep for best results.
6. Honey: A tablespoon of honey is quite effective for people who have trouble getting sleep at night. With high sugar content, honey can raise your insulin levels a little over the normal level. When this happens, tryptophan can enter the brain without much difficulty, so you get a restful sleep as a result.
7. Fish: Fish, especially salmon, tuna, and halibut, can provide you with high amounts of vitamin B6. This certain vitamin makes melatonin, giving you a peaceful sleep as triggered by the hormone.
There have been many studies that show how the food you eat directly affects your sleep.
Some foods contain specific nutrients that aid people into a serene slumber. By consuming the foods listed above, you can be sure that your sleeping problems will slowly go away.
Aim to eat them more often to get the sleep-inducing benefits they offer.